Welcome to 2016 and the year's first group posting of the incredible Insecure Writer's Support Group, founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh. It's a safe place for writers of all stripes to vent their fears and insecurities. Posts are the first Wednesday of each month and the co-hosts for January are L.G. Keltner, Denise Covey, Sheri Larsen, J.Q. Rose, Chemist Ken and Michelle Wallace.
At this time of year, many of us are, of course, looking ahead and setting plans and goals for the coming year. I've never been a huge goal-setter - I have general plans rather than finely detailed goals - but I guess that could change this year. If I've got an insecurity at the moment, it's that I didn't achieve nearly as much last year as I would have liked. I dread to use the term writer's block, but I really was stuck on the last book of the trilogy I've been working on for over three years now - I couldn't come up with a good angle. However, having had something of a breakthrough in the closing days of the year (and written 1500 words - not much but it's a start), I feel ready to start 2016 with a fresh focus. So, here are my goals:
* Finish a first draft of Book 3 of my trilogy. (The big one. I'm setting a rough deadline of the end of June for this one, but hopefully I will be done before then.)
* Perform final edits on Book 1, Black and White, engage a cover artist and prepare for release before the end of the year.
* Get Book 2 and the series' prequel novella out to CPs during the early part of the year.
* Aim to participate in Write1Sub1 by writing and submitting one short story per month.
* Continue promotion for my short story collection, aiming to make more use of avenues such as Twitter, Facebook/Goodreads groups, and promo spots. This is challenging for me, but I need to push myself more in this department.
* Eat healthily and keep up regular exercise via daily dog walks. I can definitely do the second part. They don't exactly give me a choice!
* Post monthly goal round-ups at the end of each month. This is a new one for me, but I'm hoping it'll be another way of staying focused and on track.
Well, all that should keep me busy. Here's to a productive 2016! How about you? Do you set goals? What would you like to achieve this year?
Check out other IWSG postings here.