Happy Friday, folks!
Well, we've nearly reached the end of the first month of 2016. Don't know about you, but January has seemed to last longer than the whole of last year. Maybe it's the extreme levels of weather we've been having - nothing compared to the east coast of the US though, and I hope all my friends over there are OK. We dodged a bullet, as my wife and stepdaughters flew home from a trip to New York just a week before the blizzard hit. If the timing had been different, they might well have still been there now, holed up in a hotel room and running out of money... However, Scotland has been battered by extreme wind, rain and flooding. Here's hoping things improve next month.
So, onto my first goal wrap-up of the month. I'll be posting these on the last weekday of each month - the idea is to keep myself accountable while also having a record of my progress. Most of these are rolling goals for each month, but a few will be individual tasks - if I don't tick them off in a certain month, they'll roll over to the next.
* Finish a first draft of Book 3 of my trilogy.
Well, I've started. Currently, I've got 6000 words - not as much as I would have liked, but I've been doing more freelance work than usual. The important thing is that I've written almost every day, even if just 200 words. The plan for next month is to keep that regularity going while upping the wordcount.
* Perform final edits on Book 1, Black and White, engage a cover artist and prepare for release before the end of the year.
Not done any of these yet.
* Get Book 2 and the series' prequel novella out to CPs during the early part of the year.
I contacted my brilliant CPs just before writing this post, so I'm just waiting to hear back in terms of schedules and so on.
* Aim to participate in Write1Sub1 by writing and submitting one short story per month.
I accomplished half of this goal - I didn't write a new story, but I submitted the story that didn't make the cut for the IWSG anthology to a handful of markets.
* Continue promotion for my short story collection, aiming to make more use of avenues such as Twitter, Facebook/Goodreads groups, and promo spots.
Yes. This month I focused on trying Facebook, as it's something I've not really used much. I joined a couple of promo groups and posted about my book.
* Eat healthily and keep up regular exercise via daily dog walks.
For the first part, I did OK, although I ate quite a bit of chocolate. Definitely did the second part, although the weather has been too wild the last few days.
* Post monthly goal round-ups at the end of each month.
Well, yes. Here I am!
For next month, I plan to do more of all of the above.
How did you do for progress this month? Do you set weekly, monthly, or yearly goals?